This past Sunday I base jumped for the first time ever! I consider this something to be marked off the “bucket list”!!! It was fantastic and the MOST liberating experience of my life! In fact, if you watch the video on my facebook profile, when I landed… all I could do was CRACK UP LAUGHING. I encourage all my friends, family, and blog readers to take risks. Whether the risks are fun, little things (being the first to say hi) or big, scary things (confronting a problem, base jumping), I promise that they will be worth it in the end. You will never know the satisfaction or pride that comes with setting a goal and taking the risk to fulfill it if you dont TRY!
I was chatting with my homestay “mum” about the risks I took while preparing to come to New Zealand, and I didn’t actually realize how many there were! No wonder I was so anxious/uneasy?! Here are a few risks I took coming to NZ:
1. Allowing complete strangers to choose where I would live.
2. Trusting those strangers that I now live with for the following things: safety, food, comfort, support, sanitary conditions…..
3. Traveling safely for 30+ hours.
4. Working among strangers who are supposed to mentor me in my future career.
5. Unknown access to the Internet.
6. Leaving behind friendships, a secure job, and my family.
7. Giving up control and access to the professors and advisors who oversee my progress and graduation in May.
Okay so #5 isn’t so vital for life, but those are just a few risks that I took. While I feel proud of the fact that I took those risks, I realize that I did not take them alone! I have people I love and my faith in God’s love and care for me that have carried me through the scary moments!
-> Whats risks are you willing to take for future gains?